Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Busy, busy


It's funny how, now I'm working overtime at the library, as well as doing my weekly book review and writing a story a fortnight for my other blog -set up by the lovely Calistro - I'm actually doing more writing than when I had less to do. If that makes sense, which it doesn't. Actually, it does. If that makes sense. Which it doesn't. Etc.

When I have lots of time to write, I seem to fill it with fluff. Washing, faffing, baking, gardening, cleaning fluff. Expecially cleaning fluff. Literally. There's tons of the stuff. I blame Molly. She sheds fur like we need it to live on.

I suppose having less time focuses the mind. I've had two more novel ideas for a start, this week. One is another romantic comedy and the other a psychological thriller, and I've made a start on both while they were fresh in my mind. I miss writing when I'm at work and figure if I don't make time, I'll never get anything finished. Dur - as the Teens would say. When I have time I always think, well there's plenty of it - I'll start writing as soon as I've finished...fluff cleaning. Except I don't, always.

What's that saying? If you want something doing, ask a busy person. Or in my case - if you want me to write a novel, give me a full-time job. Not that I'd take it. I'm too busy writing.

9 comments:

Lane said...

You're on a roll! Overtime must suit you:-)

Can sympathise with the fluff. My two are shedding for England at the moment but I have a trick. Put on your grippiest shoe ie a trainer and paw at the rugs/carpet. It gets all the hair up and it saves getting the hoover out. For fluff anywhere else, avert your eyes, preferably to the keyboard:-)

Calistro said...

I'm exactly the same! Some Sundays I have the entire day in which I could write but, instead, I end up doing a quick 30 minutes between TV shows or at 1am and then feel guilty for wasting what should have been a 'writing day'! Much better to be busy, squeeze in that 30 mins somewhere and feel all proud of yourself! :oO

Debs said...

I completely see what you mean. I manage to fit so much in when I have little time to do it or deadlines but when I have a reasonably quiet day I tend to get bugger all done. So frustrating.

kallioppe said...

I'm the same way Karen. When I was working full time I managed to write a novel, a half of another AND a short story collection. Now I spend my free days doing laundry, sorting out cupboards, checking email and blogging. But of course I call it 'writing'. Dur.

Tam said...

Since I've only been *seriously* writing since January this year, I am starting to wonder what I did with all the time before I used it for writing....

HelenMH said...

I'm exactly the same - the more time I have, the less I do. Maybe it's that when we have less time we treat it as more of a precious commodity?

womagwriter said...

God you make me laugh! Take that full time job and use the extra time it generates to write a comic novel. You're a natural.

And yep, I'm the same. Am currently writing far more than I was, despite the keep-fit surge, the DIY surge, the full time job and two kids, and the necessity of spending time on the beach while the sun shines.

KAREN said...

lane - Good idea. Beats grubbing about with sellotape wrapped around my hands. I do a bit too much eye-averting though, hence the hairy build-up!

claistro - Mad isn't it? Must be human nature though, if we're all the same :o)

debs - Bring on the deadlines, that's what I say! I'm not very good at setting them for myself though.

kallioppe - It's weird isn't it? Maybe those other tasks should be called Research ??

tam - It does make you wonder how you fitted everything in, doesn't it? I'm just the same :o)

helenmh - That's a bloomin' good point. Pity I'm not aware of it more often!

womagwriter - Ooh thank you - comments like that keep me going...for my sins! Amazing what we can cram into 24 hours when we try :o)

Yvonne said...

I know what you mean Karen. I work better in short bursts - my daily schedule reflects that. Keep up the great work!

Change of address...

To coincide with my 10th year of blogging (TEN YEARS??!!!) I've decided to move my blog over to my website, where I hope to update...