Saturday, March 22, 2008

It's snow-time

Molly's always intrigued by snow, bless her. Aren't we all? Especially at this time of year. Mind you Easter is very early - the earliest since 1913, apparently. I can never understand why that happens, but I'm sure there's a Very Good reason.
You can't really see from the picture, but big, fat snow-flakes are a-falling, and I seem to be finding them oddly inspiring. I've already read half a book, rattled off a short story and a chapter of my novel-in-progress, and found some lovely writing quotes this morning, which is highly unusual for me.

What, no procrastinating?? No weaving about in jim-jams, looking for stodgy food products? Actually, I normally work on Saturdays, but the library is closed for Easter. Maybe I'm 'programmed' to work no matter what, like a rather wishy-washy robot.

Anyway, a couple of things I read earlier really struck a chord with me. "Think about your backstory, because that's where the theme lies," by Margaret Graham, was a light-bulb moment, and the other was a passage from The Writer's Voice, by Al Alvarez, who says, "writers don't just hold, as t'were, a mirror up to nature, by creating an imitation of life; they create a moment of life itself," which I thought was rather lovely. He goes on to say that "the writer works to find or create a voice that will stretch out to the reader, make him prick his ears and attend." Wise words, indeed.

"Have a lovely Easter" are also wise words, but probably won't inspire anyone. Except to stuff their faces.

Now where did I hide those eggs? (In your tummy - Ed)

8 comments:

Casdok said...

C and i have just come in.Its freezing out there!
Happy Easter!!

HelenMH said...

Wise writing insights indeed! I've been trying to work all day, but feel like I haven't actually achieved anything :(

Debs said...

I've been out all day and it's nine degrees here and sunny so I doubt it will snow even though J & S are desperate for it to do so.

Well done for achieving so much today, I wish I could say the same.

Happy Easter to you too.

Leigh said...

Okay, so when you've finished your book, could you come over and give me a hand with mine?

Tuesday okay for you?

Anna said...

a lovely Easter to you too! I felt like a total IDIOT when everyone else seems to know what a TAB is...

and how to use it properly!

btw... Molly dog is such a gorgeous gal.... :))))

Faye said...

Oh I love the picture of Molly studying the snow. We had tentative snow in mid USA as well today. By the way, what is Molly's breed--or is she just a really great Heinz 57?

Lane said...

Aw look a Molly:-)

Hope you're having a good Easter m'dear. x

KAREN said...

Thanks, Casdok - it's still freezing!

helenmh - I feel like that most days :o)

debs - The sun did come out eventually, so the the snow didn't last long :o(

leigh - I think I might have run out of steam, already!

anna - No you are not alone! Molly is gorgeous, but she doesn't like other dogs I'm afraid.

Thank you Faye - Molly is a labrador/border collie cross apparently - a nice combination!

lane - She uses her cuteness to get her own way, the minx :o) I've eaten too much chocolate...

Glad Tidings

So, now the season to be jolly is almost upon us, which means another year is almost over and, as usual, I'm left wondering how o...