Saturday, February 28, 2009

Book scramble



No, this isn't a photo of customers at the library hunting down the latest Jeffrey Archer novel.

It's a photo of scavengers bargain-hunters at a Bookbarn warehouse in Bristol. The lease had expired and apparently it was cheaper to give the stock away than to try and sell it elsewhere.

I'm not sure what to make of it really. Maybe they could have offloaded them to charity shops at least? I guess if I was the author of one of those books I wouldn't be too chuffed, but I did like some of the quotes in the article I read about it.

"...they have been coming from far and wide. I had one chap call me up from Milton Keynes yesterday ..."

" ... I've got quite a mixed bag, something about hair cutting, housework, and another called 'The Life of Long Legged Women' ..."

" ... people have been backing cars and vans and even a Porsche into the warehouse so they can stock up..."

"... one couple even came in a campervan and I think they slept overnight and then crammed as many books as they could into their van and drove off ..."

" ... the contents of the aircraft hangar-sized warehouse are a librarian's worst nightmare, with the books piled willy-nilly and not separated according to subject or genre ..." Well I have to agree with that one.

I suppose it was better than burning the place down, and if it brings a whole new audience to "The Life of Long Legged Women" then who am I to complain?

20 comments:

Amanda said...

Why didn't you pop along and sort the books out before everyone
arrived!? You being a librarian* et al ;-)

*you'll always be a librarian in my eyes!

Tamsyn Murray said...

Eeeek! Rather them than me. I like my books in soothing, pristine rows and get quite stressed over bent covers and creased spines!

I'm a long-legged woman. Didn't know my life was so interesting!

Jan Jones said...

Well, I've scrutinised the photo and I can't see any of my books there...

Paranoid, moi?

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

That scene reminds me of an old house that had been abandoned in a place called Anstuther, next to St Andrews in Scotland. There were books scattered everywhere like that and me and my brothers took a load back to our holiday home. It was a real treasure trove and I can still smell the books that languished there for God knows how long. That picture evoked a 40 year old memory!

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Was heartbroken to see all those books being trampled over...

I'm with Tam, I like my books neat and unbattered (is that a word?).

Lady Ursula Major said...

Hi Karen

What a sight to see books being trampled and mishandled in that way! Hurts the soul. But if it's for a worthy cause such as that beloved and sought after classic, ' Long-Legged Women', well worth it, say I.

Jean said...

Oh dear, all those books being trampled on! Don't know why but 'The Life of Long-legged Women' is a title which will stay in my mind.

Jenny Beattie said...

Good grief Karen. That's a scary photo.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my books on a shelf...

Queenie said...

I went there once, it was an amazing place (and the books were presented in a very orderly fashion when I was there). Sorry to hear it's closed down.

Honeysuckle said...

Reminds me of a Matalan clearance event I once went to where everything was 50p or £1. Clothes all over the floor.
Still, it's nice that so many people thought it worthwhile going along and stocking up. Don't people keep trying to tell us the book's on its way out?
Long live the book!

DAB said...

Hmmmm, I find that image rather sad. It reminds me of the Saturday jumble sales we were forced to go to as a kid :O Tommox

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What a shame those books are being trampled on and damaged like that.

HelenMWalters said...

I also shudder at books being damaged - but I quite like the idea of them being all out of order so that if you grabbed an armful you'd have no idea what you were getting.

Dumdad said...

I think they should have been donated to charity shops. The people with camper vans aren't book lovers, just greedy pigs probably hoping to sell them on.

Liane Spicer said...

Hate seeing books treated like that. Why is everything flung on the floor? Booklovers Gone Wild?

Kat W said...

I wasn't sure whether to laugh (it is a fab mind boggling photo - I may use it for a writing prompt at my next writing group meeting) or cry (all those poor books being trampled and mistreated) at this picture. Either way - loved the photo and the post! Kat :-)

Anna Scott Graham said...

my eldest would love to die in that pic... :)))

I learned to crochet from my MIL, one of the few things she's taught me, other than extreme patience...

did I just write that?

Casdok said...

Oh i do hope those poor books find good homes.

Jenny Beattie said...

Karen, there's an award for you over at my place. JJx

Fionnuala said...

Ouch! All this hard work telling ourselves every day that some day we WILL be published only to end up on a warehouse floor somewhere. I'm filling up! Fx