Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Glad Tidings




So, now the season to be jolly is almost upon us, which means another year is almost over and, as usual, I'm left wondering how on earth it's happened. (Has anyone else noticed the tendency for people to start their sentences with 'So' these days? It drives me mad, which probably means I'm incredibly old and grumpy, and it won't be long before I'm moaning about music being too loud and tuneless, and young women wearing too much make-up).

I'm about to start writing my 5th book for Bookouture, which sounds impossible, but is true. Maybe that's why the year's sped by - it's been so full of words, and thoughts about words, and writing words, that there hasn't been much time for anything else, but I don't mind because I'm doing something I love, and that's a reward in itself.

Apart from writing, I've had some nice trips away this year, and spent time with friends and loved ones. We haven't travelled the globe or won the lottery, and I still haven't been approached to model clothes for M & S, or met anyone famous, but nothing awful has happened either, so I count myself very lucky. (Note to self: start buying lottery tickets.)

In the spirit of trying to move away from the festive season being about buying presents (it didn't go down well, so I've had to abandon the notion) I haven't even started Christmas shopping. It's hard when the children are adults, and don't know what they want, but still like to open gifts on Christmas Day.

Maybe I'll do some writing in the meantime, to take my mind off it.

If I don't see you again this year, thank you for all your support, have a wonderful Christmas, and here's to a happy, healthy and peaceful 2018.

9 comments:

Rosemary Gemmell said...

What a lovely year you've had, Karen, and congrats again on such success. I'm afraid I'm guilty of starting with 'So' now and then and even noticed the tendency, which means trying to stop!

Tim Clarke said...

I'm worried it might be creeping into my vocabulary too, Rosemary, and that I haven't noticed!

Deborah Carr said...

2017 certainly sounds like a wonderful year, and all very well deserved.

Merry Christmas to you, too Karen and I hope that 2018 will be even better. x

Sue Blackburn said...

SO pleased for you (that doesn't count!) I can't bear it when people answer a question with SO. It really grates. And I have definitely reached the old and grumpy stage (mind you that might be because I am old - well in number anyway ;-) - because I cannot bear all the music (music?) blaring out EVERYWHERE you go. Love music too - but my choice, my time!

Now the positives. Well done, lovely lady, and congratulations on a most successful, and so deserved, year. I am about to embark on your Beachside Christmas story and cannot wait.

Merry Christmas and wish you health happiness and continued success for 2018 :-) xx

Karen said...

Thanks so much, Deb, and the very best to you too, for next year xx

Glad it's not just me feeling a bit old and grumpy, Sue! Thanks so much for the good wishes, and I hope you enjoy the Christmas book :-) xx

Wendy's Writing said...

Congratulations on all your success with Bookouture, Karen and have a wonderful Christmas x

Karen said...

Thanks, Wendy, you too :-) x

DAB said...

Have a wonderful Christmas Clarkey and a fruitful 2018 to you too. TFxx

Karen said...

Thank you, Tommo! Wishing you a happy and creative 2018 xx